PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Interesting info re: Taurine and diet

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting info re: Taurine and diet

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 am

http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/06/a ... gredients/

Needs more research but it looks like some ingredients can inhibit taurine absorption/production, like peas, rice bran, and lentils. Lamb was on the list of being associated with issues but it's taurine is less bioavalable than other meats. It's in early stages so not lots of research and concrete info yet but very interesting.

This makes people feeding carnivores vegan diets even worse as the things they tend to use to up the protein might interfere with taurine even if they supplement with it.

This article also touches on something I ran into when researching foods though some of these brands don't even know what is in their food. When I asked some about the retinol levels in their food they said they don't know because they never did a nutritional analysis on their food. Well, if they didn't do that then they have no idea if it's meeting the nutritional needs of the animals they are selling it for.

Beaker gets a combo of raw plus the instinct kibble. The fox gets as good and natural a diet as I could make for him based on my research, so fingers crossed on his having a record breaking long life.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interesting info re: Taurine and diet

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 am

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TerryK

Postby TerryK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:21 am

Interesting article and thread. Thank you.
I hope your fox will have as long life as possible!
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:42 pm

I would not trust any dog kibble on the market, not with all the recalls they get.

I think the best thing for raw-fed diet is to raise the chickens yourself and feed the whole bird to the animal, or buy a one for a local farmer (have them kill it) and fed it as is.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”