https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How to reintroduce Orphan Racoon to wild

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

MoonCoon

How to reintroduce Orphan Racoon to wild

Postby MoonCoon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello,

Our kids found a baby racoon at the park and brought him home. From what I've read he's about a month old. We've been feeding him kitten milk replacement. we keep in In a spare empty room in our apartment and sometimes allow him to roam the apartment and back porch under mine or my husband's supervision.

We took him in because we wanted to help, we see that we cannot have him long term as a pet. We just started our lease on our tiny apartment, we don't have a backyard, and we live in Illinois where it's illegal to take them out the wild.

He's smart and energitic, I'd hate for him to be put down if we call a wildlife rehab center.

How do we prepare him for a successful release back into the wild? Any and all pointers/suggestions/plans/resources on what we need to be doing to train him for life on his own PLEASE HELP US HELP HIM!
Trefoil

Re: How to reintroduce Orphan Racoon to wild

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Do you have a friend that lives in a rural or wooded area? I say this because the easiest way to "rehab" back to the wild is to continue as you are until he's old enough to take care of himself and then start letting him go outside when he asks. He eventually will stop coming back, its best to keep food out for him the first year or until he stops coming back to eat. Failing that are there any rehabbers in your area that can be trusted to not put him down? A good way to check would be to visit and see if they have any coons in the process of being rehabbed and/or ask for references. Good luck with your baby
DeweysMom

Re: How to reintroduce Orphan Racoon to wild

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Trefoil is absolutely right. They are fairly easily rehabbed and released to the wild, but you can't do it from an apartment. Because he's not been able to learn from his mama, he'll need food assistance and possibly shelter at least through his first year wild.

Thank you for rescuing him. Hoping you can find appropriate placement for him. If you'd like a list of rehabbers in your area, try checking this link:
https://ahnow.org/#/
Put your zip code in the search area, then click on "wildlife emergency". It'll bring up a list of rehabbers nearby.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”