HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

A sad loos for the horse community

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

zillahkatz

A sad loos for the horse community

Postby zillahkatz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:22 am

We learned today, that Jarod's granpa, Ray Hunt, passed away. To me, it is a terrible loss to the horse community as he was the last of the originators of Natural Horsemanship. Pat Parelli, John Lyons, Clinton Anderson, Buck Branneman and all the others owe everything to Tom & Bill Dorrance and Ray Hunt. Those old cowboys did everything to better the horse and rider yet didn't need to add "splash" or "glitter" - they just made you and your horse better.
It's been a rough few years for the family. Jarod's uncle (Ray's son-in-law) died 2 years ago, then his cousin died in January (the 31 year old son of the uncle who died). Jarod's mom (Ray's daughter) had breast cancer last year and is thankfully in remission now.
If it's your thing - please pray for Jarod and his family.
Thanks,
Stacey
BB

Postby BB » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:00 am

I'm sorry to hear that. From what you are writing, he must have been an extraordinary man, a pioneer in a different approach to horsemanship than the old rough way (not) to treat a horse.
My condolences to Jarod and his family and to you, Stacey.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:03 am

I'm so sorry to hear that. They really have changed to horse community forever, I even bought the books you suggested. Tell Jarod I'm sorry for his loss, and for yours aswell.
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks you gals! We both appreciate the condolences - really, really. There will bw a memorial in Texas and one in Idaho. We'll just go to the Idaho one...

Mariah - That is so awesome that you bought those books! I think you will get SO MUCH out of them - especially because you are already passionate about the subject. Good luck with the new horses and know there are many people out there who choose, like you, to learn from the pioneers. Please keep me updated on your progress!!
Stacey
PS - Jarod and I had a lovely ride today as it was a "balmy" 35 and sunny. (The sun at 6300 feet makes a BIG difference.) The horses are definitely knowing that spring is coming! (Even though there are feet of snow on the ground :D )
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:20 pm

It was very nice today here aswell, reaching 47 degreed. Everything is melting so it's very muddy, but I took Rusty for a ride anyway. He was being a goofball at first, doing the usual young horse type thing like trying to be a racehorse and acting terrified of every little leaf, but I did some circles and a little work with him so he'd begin to listen and he settled down pretty quickly. By the end of the ride we were both covered in mud but very happy after not being able to ride in so long. I'm very excited about the book, and am waiting for them to come in the mail. Sadly I am not bringing home Lonny because there was some people that were interested in him first and they decided to buy him. I am still bringing home the palamino mare though, I pick her up next week. I am kinda relieved because I was feeling a little overwhelmed with the prospect of jumping from caring for one to three horses. It will be nice having a quiet, well broke horse aroundand I'm sure Rusty will be very happy too :D
~Mariah~
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:01 am

Mariah -

Sounds like you had a glorious day! I think most horses get goofy when spring is coming. About 3 weeks ago, Jarod and I rode and both horses were fairly easy going. Today they took turns being fuss buckets.

Cheeky has a motor in her and her agenda is often, "okay, we're out, let's GO!". I have to do alot of gas & brake and often double her to be like "Whoa! Wait, let's re- engage your brain!". She atarted out the ride wanting to just cover ground (as Paso Finos do) and Billy was more relaxed. Then Billy got all fussy and even at one point did this really slow rear up on Jarod. Mind you, Jarod was riding bareback. I would have been in the snow. I ride bareback all the time in the pasture but when we're going "over land" I get my Aussie saddle.
Jarod has super glue on his butt. Or maybe it was he rode before he walked.
Anyway - good luck with the mare. People talk crap about them but they have a TON of heart. She'll boss Rusty around a lot but Cheeky does that to Billy and he still likes her. You're right too - 2 is easier than 3 and you'll have time to work with both of them.
Sadly but for the good, Billy will be going to Jarod's dad's house in CA next weekend. We're driving him to ID, then a friend on from their. I might get a goat as a companion for the Cheekster....
We'll see...
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:00 am

I got Rusty a goat once but he tried to kill it :roll: Why does Billy have to leave? My last ride I rode Rusty bareback so I had all kinds of fun trying to stay on whill he was pretending to be Seabiscuit :D
~Mariah~

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”