ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

A young duck was given to us... help??

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

zillahkatz

A young duck was given to us... help??

Postby zillahkatz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:14 am

Well, added to the rest of the menagerie (2 dogs, fox, horse, goat & chickens), a friend rescued a juvenile duck from living in a dog crate in the back of a neighbor's house (we think he's a Pekin). Nice, right? Now said duck (aptly named Howard by my boyfriend) spends days living in a 7 by 12 run complee with a baby pool, food bowl, additional water bowl, veggie scraps and straw to lay in. We initially put him (her? - we don't know) in with the chickens but they were mean. So now during the evenings, Howard comes in and hangs out with us in the bedroom, on the bed (on a towel!). Late evenings he snuggles on our laps (I know, we're weird) and hangs out while we watch a wee bit of internet TV or read. Then he sleeps in the bathroom (lined with newpaper and with towels to cozy up to). In the morning it's back out to his othr "house".

We don't know what to do as, 1) He's a domestic duck who otherwise would not survive here outside with all the wild critters, 2) he sure likes being a "pet" as much as "livestock", 3) we need advice on proper feeding et al...

Sigh... were just going to look for someone to take who had an airated pond (it gets like Siberia here in the winter), but Jarod didn't realize that Pekins don't fly - or don't fly well and he got all upset. This from the man who grew up on a cattle ranch. He said they always had mallards as pets and they could escape the foxes/ racoons/ coyotes/ dogs. We've gotten attached to the duck and now are all up in the air with what's the best to do for him.

Any advice would be helpful... THANKS!

PS - I'm feeding an organic chicken feed, organic veggies (I'm a manager at a natural foods grocer and get TONS of free scraps), a bit of regular corn, and the occasional bits of bread. Would love some advice!
BB

Postby BB » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:40 am

I'm glad Howard found a good home.
You are doing everything right. I feed mine mixed grain and chook pellets, when they are out they like eating grass and siphoning through dirt, I cut up veggies and they eat pretty much everything.
The males normally have a little curl on their tail feather and some species males are quieter than females.
They like companions (I've got two males) but I've seen people have just one and it seems ok.
Ducks are rapists. If you got a male get at least two females if you want to breed, otherwise another male is fine.
I worm all of my animals but I'm actually not quite sure if you need to worm ducks???
Ducks loooove water and you'll notice how quickly they can dirty it too.. :D
Hope I could help! Photos pleeeaaaase! :mrgreen:
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:03 am

he can pretty much live with the chickens, eat what they eat. He needs nothing more then a baby pool. He doesnt even need that but he will foul the chickens water without a baby pool. If it is indeed a male you will need to get more or he will rape your chickens untill they are bald on the backs. Ducks NEED other ducks.
BTW if he is a baby duck a dog crate is not an innapropriate house for him to grow out in if he is fuzzy. If he doesnt have feathers he should be in a small area with supplemental heat.
The cold weather is not a problem because they come with their own down jacket!
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:34 am

LG-

I should have been more specific - sorry. He's not full grown but he has almost all his feathers save the ones on his wings and his "butt" is still a bit downy. "He" may well be a she as Howard is quite loud! Also no curl on the tail. We'll see. My chickens tried to kick the crap out of him/ her. I think when Howard gets older (s)he'll be fine with them. Howard has a baby pool and loves it. I clean it daily. I also give "him" a big clean water bowl and a bowl with the organic chicken feed.

Is it bad to give them cooked corn?? I've given him some but I'm don't know if that's okay. I gave him a hard boiled egg (from my chickens) and he ate a bunch of it. I read that you could do that from time to time on a reputable duck website, but encourage advice. I peeled and chopped the egg so it wouldn't resemble other eggs. Thoughts??

I'm thinking that Howard is a she at this point. Howard is one loud duck! That would alieviate many issues.

Thanks so much!
Stacey
BB

Postby BB » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:37 am

:lol: Funny when you wrote you peeled and chopped the eggs so they don't resemble eggs - I know what you meant, but it sounded like so the chickens don't get sad to see their eggs get eaten by the duck ( maybe that's why they beat Howard up!! ;) :lol: )
My ducks are in the same pen as the chickens and except the funking up of the chicken water issue, they are fine.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:30 am

dont worry too much about howard (must be a she if loud) getting beat up as long as you are there to break it up. It is the pecking order. I often leave the newcomer in a crate where the hens can see them for a couple days and they get used to the newbie. That way they dont beat em up as bad. Dont worry your hens didnt take her eating the egg personal. My hens will eat there eggs if I break them open for them. I often give them back to the hens if I or the pigs dont need them.
BB

Postby BB » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:44 am

Ah Lasergrl, you just reminded me of something really grouse.
Missy Goose and Mister Nasty, my pair of geese are hopeless in hatching their eggs. Missy seems to just lay eggs because it is the thing to do but completely neglects them afterwards. (the eggs she's got now she started laying in April! :shock: :? )
So I thought this is going on for too long and grabbed an egg and was about to peg it over the fence when Sophia (the pig) came along.
I gave her the egg and she bit in it and it exploded in her mouth. I had to walk away cause I couldn't watch it but I forgot the chickens eggs so I went back and the smell what came across was soooo rank, I started gaging straight away!
Ugh, I'm nearly gaging now..... :roll:
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:10 am

oh my god I know that smell. My turkey would sit on her eggs untill they were rotten. Ugh. Id throw them in the river to listen to them pop :lol:
dragon_lady

Postby dragon_lady » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:07 am

I have had them explode in the incubator, or worse, just after removing them to take them outside. Nothing else smells that bad.
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks for all the help! Howard (Howardina?) Is getting all her wing feathers in now and seems to be growing more/ getting bigger. Right now she's in a different pen but I'll start to reintroduce her. :D
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:44 pm

why don't you get a couple of ducks. I think he/she would be happier.
or a goose. I have a duck and a goose that are always together.
even though there are other geese and ducks, they still hang out together.

I know the smell of those eggs. yuk.

one time I grabbed some eggs from the chicken nest, and somehow there was one there that was an old egg. I went to crack in in the pan to cook some eggs, and there was a half developed chick in it. (feather, feet and all) needless to say, I didnt eat eggs for quite some time. :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:03 am

She actually likes my dog Wyatt and likes to hang out with him :) Then she gets to come inside and hang in the house for a bit before going to bed. She loves being cuddled and petted.

We never were going to get a duck - she was just being really neglected. I live in "Siberia" - I mean it gets to 30 below sometimes here. I don't need more flightless fowl that will freeze in the winter or get eaten by foxes/ coyotes/ hawks/ eagles/ racoons. My life is wild kingdom.

We just love her and will deal with whatever needs to happen this winter. (Like building a ramp into and out of the bathroom. We're completely insane.)

Cheers! Stacey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:15 am

your my kind of people :lol:
you do whatever it takes to help an animal.
I am the same way.

your duck will be friendly, since you only have one.

when I was a kid, I had a pet duck (I lived in the city at that time)
he was really great. he use to follow me around all the time.
he was very friendly, like to be petted. then one day, I come home from school, and my duck was gone. my mother got rid of him :cry:
she was not big on animals like my dad and I were.
she use to tell me, she put him on a farm. yeah, right.
over the years I always asked her what she really did with my duck, she never told me. so she took the truth to her grave :cry:

a while back, after I moved out of my mom's house of course.
I finally got my ducks all in a row :lol: , the one duck I had, loved my one dog I had. they use to play to together, the duck would fly around with my dog. my dog would wrestle the duck to the ground and the duck loved it. this dog I had, was amazing with these ducks.
he protected the babies. one time, there was a duck sitting on a nest, the duck got up to take a swim, my dog actually sat on the nest until the momma got back to finish sitting :lol:

anyway, I find raising your duck in the house normal. I did that with one of my geese. he is about ten years old now, and he is still very friendly, he loves to picked up, petted, he comes to me for attention.

I would love to see some pictures of your duck, and please keep me updated on his progress.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “FOWL”