PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Not a Pleasant Ending to a Very Pleasant Ride.

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

suki'smom

Not a Pleasant Ending to a Very Pleasant Ride.

Postby suki'smom » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:54 am

**This is also posted in the Horse section**

A few days ago the weather was very nice (and has been for the past week or so) and decided to take my boy Rusty for a nice little ride down the road. I saddled him up and warmed him up with some longeing then I set off leading him down the road.

He was being very calm but he seemed a little worried that the neighbors down the way were using their tractor to move piles of wood around, so I led him up and down and up and down the road, never reaching the neighbors driveway (we live in the country so that is a ways down).

Once I was sure he was behaving I mounted up and rode him up and down and up and down the road doing changes in pace and stopping at random times to make sure he was listening. We went at this for about a half hour without incident and I was quite pleased with his progress and decided to end the session early as a reward.

I removed my feet from the stirrup irons (I ride in an english saddle) to stretch my ankles. At this point we were about 50 yards from my neighbors driveway facing home. Suddenly the neighbors tractor backfired (scaring the hell out of both of us) and Rusty bolted. Still without stirrup irons I gripped his mane to keep from falling and tried to ease him down, but there was no stopping him, he was terrified. The white of his eyes showed as he panicked and weaved all over the road.

My mind was racing. I had to bring him down somehow as we were headed for a busy intersection. I tried the pulley rein technique to no avail, I tried a one-rein stop to no avail, and I tried pushing him into some deep snow but he went right back onto the road along with alot of other things to try and stop him. Everything I tried failed and he showed no hint of slowing down. We were almost to the intersection (and right in front of my property) when I had to make a descision or we were both going to be hit by a vehicle and killed. So I bailed.

My head hit first and split my helmet open, then came the rest of my body slamming into the pavement and sliding across it, leaving my back and hip full of debri and roadrash and my lungs without air. All I saw were Rusty's legs flying past me and I hoped he would stop. OMG, I hoped he would stop.

To my relief he did after a couple more strides and I heard his hooves come plop-plop-plop towards me. Then there was his big brown head in my lap, sniffing me and his liquid brown eyes looking deep into mine as if to say: "Hey mom, are you ok?". I still couldn't beathe well and was quite shaken but, with Rusty's help, I got to my feet. I went to lead him but he kept blocking me, as if to keep me from moving. I gave him a stern look and said "Stud, come on, we gotta get home. I'm hurt." After that he decided it was ok to let me walk but he stayed at my side to support me and walked very slowly and carefully.

I managed to put him in his pen and un-tack him, the whole time he sniffed me up and down, checking me. I could almost hear him saying "Its ok mom, I saved us. Are you sure your alright?". I told him "You did good Rusty. I'm going to be fine." I stumbled to the house and up the stairs. Thankfully my mother was visiting so I asked her to take me to the ER. Upon seeing my condition and my split open helmet she flipped out and flew to the hospital.

There they put me in a neck brace, checked me over, drew blood, did a CT scan, took a bunch of x-rays, gave me some pain meds and basically told me I am alright, just beat up a little (thank goodness). My sister and her boyfriend showed up along with my other half and two of his friends to support me and help me through it (I have a social anxiety and I freak out when people touch me or there are alot of people around that I dont know). They called my father and brother and let them know what happened and what was going on.

I stayed at my sisters that night (she lives two blocks from the hospital and is a certified EMT) with my other half by my side, waking me up all through the night checking on me to make sure I was alright.

Today (two days later) I am a bit sore and tired but I am getting on just fine if a little more slowly. All I can say is thank goodness for loyal and loving horses, partners and family. Oh, and knowledgeable hospital staff lol

P.S. The last three times I have been to that ER it has been for horse related injuries though this is the first time it has been my own horse.
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
BB

Postby BB » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm glad you are alright! If you keep this up I recommend a visit to the stunt-school! (you know, to get around the head first thing...) :roll:
Quick question, I thought horses always head home, so wouldn't he have turned into your place anyway? (or did I misunderstand and the intersection is before your place?)
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Horses freak me out. I've had nothing but good experiences with them, but there is no way in hell you'll ever get me to ride one. I don't trust the big buggers.
Or for that matter I don't trust any animal that weighs more than me. :shock:
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:01 am

I guess it depends on the size of horse and rider for it to be possible but wouldn't covering they eyes make one stop?
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:07 pm

BB- I just might check out that stunt school thing as to get the proper technique down next time I have to bail (save me from buying a new helmet :lol: ). Actually we were headed in the direction of home but my boy passed up our driveway by about 3 strides before I decided it was time to get off. Rusty has never been one to head for home, he has always looked to me for security and not home (which is good, I hate riding barn-sour horses [the ones that try to run home]).

Renwaldo- I hear that a lot from people, it is really not uncommon (and is completely understandable) for people to be afraid of them.

Hyze- In theory I suppose it may work but I also had no stirrups and would not want to unbalance myself by reaching forward to his head. Also I don't believe it would work with Rusty because I did train him to lead with a rag over his eyes in case of barn fire (you cover their eyes in case of a barn fire because many horses will not leave their stalls if they see flames).

I am feeling much better now btw :D
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
BB

Postby BB » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:37 am

Good to hear!

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”