PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Getting a wolf

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

renwaldo

Getting a wolf

Postby renwaldo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:19 am

Honest to god, it's so much easier than trying to find a domesticated fox up here.

However, I don't l know the first place where to begin. I've already found a breeder, now I got months worth of research ahead of me. Any owners on here have any tips to someone who's just thought of the idea? ;)
Right now I don't know where to start.

We had a 150 pound (dalmatian/labrador) dog who efficiently wrecked both houses beyond the point of my family's caring, so I'm not too concerned about that. Apart from putting holes through the walls, floors and ceiling there isn't anything a large canine can do to this building that hasn't been done already. :mrgreen:
Last edited by renwaldo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Well first of all, I would read up on the Raw or BARF diet (Bones And Raw Food) becuase I would think that would be even better for wolves than it is for domestic dogs. Also, I would read up on caring for Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes because those are the breeds of dogs most similar to wolves. Can the breeder give you much information? You can find a good amount of information on caring for wolfdogs which, at times, are really high content wolf so I would imagine their care is very similar to that of a wolf.

Also, where is this breeder? I'v always wanted a wolf but I got the impression that if anything, you could only get wolfdogs in Canada
cl0ud77

Postby cl0ud77 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:01 pm

cl0ud77

Postby cl0ud77 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:08 pm

renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:52 am

The breeder's name is Keyhan Modaressi, they run a business in Kelowna here in BC called 'Sun Valley Wolf Kennels.' Clearly you haven't been looking for wolf breeders for very long. . . most of the ones I've found so far are from the USA.

I hadn't thought about an all raw meat diet, if I do get the wolf I certainly won't be able to afford daily meals of raw meat anyways. It'll have to tolerate dog food or something else, raw meat for every meal just isn't financially feasible for me.
cl0ud77

Postby cl0ud77 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:25 am

you have probably already found this site but just in case you havent here is a link:
http://www.pets4you.com/wolf.html

Sun valley wolves animals are misrepresented in content
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:36 am

I looked for them a while ago but I probably gave up to soon. Sun Valley's website only advertises wolf hybrids. Maybe I should keep in mind that I might be able to ask a wolfdog breeder if I'd be able to buy a pure wolf from them
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Mystique Creek Ranch is probably a better bet for you, they're much closer to Ottawa than Kelowna is.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:19 pm

I'm reading in a lot of different places that these guys are 'very active' and even 'destructive.' However there aren't very many details. Exactly what kind of destruction are we talking about here? Will my wooden doors be safe from being chewed upon? Will my carpet be dug/torn up? Can wolves be house trained?
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:13 pm

If there's anybody on this board who has any experience with wolves I would be grateful for their advice :( !

I've been reading all I can from every other corner of the internet, but I would feel better writing to an actual human that can answer my questions and write back responses.
Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:03 am

Wolves/High content wolfdogs NEED to be stimulated. Constantly. They often make awful house pets and will need an outdoor enclosure. What many sites may refer to as destructive would be tearing the house to pieces as your gone. In other words; tear out a few pipes, chew up anything on the ground/on the counters/within reach, chew through cords..the works. Often times a raw/barf diet is required. Dog food isn't going to cut it unless the crude protein is exceptionally high. Wolves/wolfdogs need a high protein diet, otherwise their health depletes. To be honest, from the sounds of it, it would be much better if you considered a low content wolfdog over a wolf. It would be far easier on your finances and low contents are much easier to keep inside the home.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 pm

The exact wolf content in the dogs from this breeder is difficult to determine, the dog my neighbor purchased from them is wolf shaped but lacks a wolfy coat or upturned tail. She sells german shepherd/wolves, I don't know what the content is.

I'm not too concerned about destruction, the basement of our other house is 70% concrete floor to ceiling. As long as it doesn't chew through the wooden doors or the house's support beam, it should be fine. Actually that brings to mind another question: how effective are doggy toys? How long will a solid rubber kong ball last?

I'll have to ask the breeder what they've been feeding them. I don't mind paying for a little raw meat as a treat every week or so, but I can't afford it for every meal. Heck, most of the cooked meat my family eats is cheap generic grocery brand chicken or ground beef! We rarely even buy chuck steaks. :shock:

I won't be getting my puppy yet for a while anyways. All the litters from this year have already been reserved if not sold. I still have quite a bit of saving to do too, I'd like to get the house surveyed before I start paying for repairs to make it livable, and then I need to get a new taller fence installed around the yard. Our five footer probably won't keep back a giant jumping wolfdog. Then there's the initial cost of the animal itself too, I only have $700.00 after working for minimum wage for just under 4 months.

Maybe after a couple years.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Well, I've decided. I have finalized my decision and I now can say with certainty I will be buying a wolf puppy. :mrgreen:

Next year that is.

I need to get a very tall and indestructible fence installed around our other lot, and I need to wait for available puppies from next spring's litters.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Okay, here's the email I'm sending to the breeder:

"To Keyhan Modaressi,

I think my family and myself are ready to move on since the death of our last pet, it has been a couple years now since we've had the pleasure of having a dog in the house. I have been looking at wolfdogs for some now, I've found a certain romance for these beautiful animals. We are a family of four with two teenagers and are prepared to care for a very active dog, our last was a young rescued dalmatian who did more than enough to keep us alert and exercised! However in my research I have come up with a couple of questions:

1.) Several different sources recommended a raw meat and bone diet as a necessity to provide enough protein for a wolf or wolf type, what do you feed your dogs and what do you recommend to your buyers? Will a high protein dog food be enough? Is this diet dependent on the amount of wolf present in the specific dog?

2.) Several sources have also informed me that these dogs are 'extremely active and destructive.' We live on a 1.5 acre fenced lot in a small forest. Along with daily walks is this enough space for this kind of dog? The fence is roughly onely 5 ft. high, will I need a taller one installed? If so what height, and what materials would you recommend? During the night our pet would sleep in our basement indoors, otherwise he/she would be out for most of the day. How concerned should I be about chewing/digging through fences, doors, walls and floors? Our last puppy scratched and gnawed the paint off our wooden basement doors, I'm not concerned about the appearance of a dog eaten basement, but I'm wondering if what held back a young manic dalmation is enough to hold back a manic wolf/german shepherd?

If there's anything else you feel I should be asking please let me know. I've raised dogs before but this will be the first wolf-dog I've ever owned! You should also know I won't be prepared to purchase from you for a while yet, not this year anyways.

Sincerely, Travis McKay"

Is there anything I missed?
Elina

Postby Elina » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:43 pm

This is from another forum but I thought it may be of use to you.

What is BARF/RMB's?
BARF stands for: Biologically Appropriate Raw Food, or as most people know it, Bones and Raw Food..............
RMB's stands for: Raw Meaty Bones......
These diets are not new, or any type of new feeding trend, in fact they have been aroung for hundreds/thousands of years if you think about evoloution, and they are basically about feeding cats and dogs the necessary diet to help them thrive through life and assist in reaching their genetic potential in terms of health, longevity, physical exercise and reproduction, so when the diet strays away from this evoloutionary way of feeding then the more health problems an individual animal is likely to develop. It is also worth a mention here that the genetic make-up of an animal also plays it's role here too.
In basic terms, convential grain based pet foods, which as we are all aware is a MASSIVE industry in itself, cause MANY health problems, no matter what research is put into them. They simply cannot stand upto RAW diets in terms of health enhancing attributes.

Ingredients for BARF/RMB's
Basically, it is what is readily available that you can get hold of around your location, but as the diet names suggest this diet consists of various parts to get the WHOLE benefits and this should be done over time and not all crammed into 1 or 2 meals.
All the following ingredients are suitable to be fed as part of this diet, unless of course you know your pet has an intolerance towards it, these include - Chicken wings, legs, carcasses, whole chickens, lamb ribs, lamb shanks, beef, pork, venison, fish, duck, pork, turkey, rabbit, veggies(blended or pureed), fruit (but there is on-going debate as to whether the fruit and veg side is necessary/helpful......but that's for another person to get stuck into), eggs, offal etc etc, there really is an abundance of items out there for everyone to be able to get hold of.

Feeding the above items, such as the meat products, it is best to do so as a whole and not to strip it down, for example, meat and bone should be eaten as a whole and together, yes give your dog a bone on it's own once or twice a week or so, but the main part of the diet should be eaten whole, this enables your dog to basically clean as it goes, such as when they eat rabbit, the bones help clean the teeth and gums, whereas the fur, tendons, ligaments etc will floss and basically polish the dogs internal system.......sorry could'nt really think of another way to put it.

Also thought I'd quickly metion Fasting. This is beneficial to your dogs as tend to regulate their own food intake, for example, even if there is a HUGE pile of food for your dog they will not necessarily eat it all, once they are full thry will come away from it. By fasting it allows the dogs digestive system to rest and recouperate and studies from wild dogs/wolves show that there are health benefits from doing do.

Benefits from RAW feeding

Increased energy levels (especially good to see in the older/infirm dogs)
Increased lean body mass (your dog will lose unwanted fat and gain increased muscle mass)
MANY dental problems will disappear (including a nicer breath and tarter removal)
Many skin problems disappear (just see how much healthier and younger your pals look and all your friends will be saying 'Ooohhh isn't your dogs coat nice and shiney......time to chuck away the medicated bath rinses)
Healthy ears (BARF and RMB's strengthens the immune system which contains essentail fatty acids aswell as a host of other ingredients which in turn reduces inflammatory conditions)
Anal Sac problems disappear (this diet will firm up the horrible sloppy smelly stools and you'd be surprised that when toilet time comes there usually is a reduction in the amount that is excreted, gone are the days of taking your dog to the vets to have their anal glands emptied.......YUK)

There are MANY other benefits but the above gives you a good starter too see some of the benefits when feeding this way.

Fears of the RAW diets

Personally, MANY people do not feed this way I beleive from 2 simple assumptions - 1.Fear 2.Ignorance(not meant in any bad way to anyone)

When you speak to people, especially when they ask what you feed you dog, the usual reply is......Oh no your not supposed to feed your dogs bones........or..........are'nt they always sick because things like raw chicken carry bacteria like Salmonella and Compalabacter..........so basically......cats and dogs are hunters and have fed this way for thousands of years.......their systems are designed to take such food and their whole being and make-up produces the necessary things needed to be able to cope with bacteria and digest this type of food to get the whole benefit from it.........how often do you see your cats catching and eating birds etc.......do they suddenly become ill...........or how often does your dog run into the garden to find a half eaten bird left over to quickly gobble the whole lot down........do they then suddenly become ill.........

Another fear people have are bones.......if ANYONE does not want to feed whole bones, there is no reason not to smash or grind them up.....this is particulary good for those GREEDY dogs who do not know what the word 'chew' means.........for all of our 6 labradors we dont grind anything up and feed things as they come

Old wives tales such as.....'my dog will become blood thirsty' or 'my dog will become aggressive' are COMPLETELY untrue.........aggression will only come from a dog that has food aggression from the outset.......anyone should be able to go up to their dogs and take ANY piece of food from them at any time without ANY problem, this is why it is so important as puppies, whatever the food maybe that they are taught you are the TOP-DOG of the household and they should respect this

Just to finish off, common sense must prevail to us humans when handlimg RAW meats and food etc, as we are not designed like dogs so we MUST wash anything we use well including ourselves in order to maintain a healthy immune system.....if you don't then yes, you may well become sick

Thanks for reading this guys, this is a very brief and basic guide to RAW feeding, which I have only scratched the surface as there is SO MUCH more to this including things like supplementation of vitamins and a whole host of other things........this in itself again is a debatable topic of discussion, which I won't enter now.

I hope you have found this a bit useful, like I say it is only brief and basic but below are a list of great reading books that any potential RAW feeders should see

Raw Meaty Bones (Lonsdale)
Work Wonders (Lonsdale)
The Barf Diet (Billinghurst)
Give Your Dog A Bone (Billinghurst)
Grow Your Pups With Bones (Billinghurst)
Food Pets Die For (Ann Martin)
Shock To The System, fact about animal vaccination and pet food ( Catherine O'Driscoll)
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!

Return to “Wolves”