ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Post here for food and snack ideas

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Viltor

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby Viltor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Could try replacing the beef with buffalo or bison, similiar in flavor, texture, but muuuuuch leaner.

I dont know if it will work for foxes, nor do i know the differences in nutrition, so it might not work, but I know it is easy to switch it for people and they will never notice any difference most of the time unless you mention it.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:30 pm

That's a nice suggestion, something I wouldn't have thought of. The downside is that they are more expensive and harder to find. You might not be able to find it ground, either, so you'd need a meat grinder yourself. Nothing wrong with feeding whole cuts, though. That's what I do with my coons :) Mmm, bone.
Taj's mom

Postby Taj's mom » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Taj goes nuts for sweet potatoes. It's crazy, he sits, starts wagging his tail so fast he happy pees. sigh... He also loves raw eggs (but doesn't care for cooked ones) and I got one of the local meat markets to save raw chicken backs for me so he goes those, chicken necks (when I can find them) and chicken wings when I can't. I tried giving him beef heart for the extra taurine, wouldn't touch it. Neither would the dogs, strangely enough, and they're kinda like garbage disposals, lol, always eating Taj's left-overs.

As for veggies, he eats pretty much everything: lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, etc. For some reason I think he likes veggies more than anything.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:13 pm

That's strange that neither Taj or your dogs would eat the beef heart. I still haven't found any in my area so I haven't had the chance to feed it to my guys yet. If you can find turkey heart, that's a good one. Walmart sells trays of chicken gizzards and hearts, but you get like two hearts and tons of gizzards. Kinda disappointing.
Taj's mom

Postby Taj's mom » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Yeah the_unstable, I know. Hubby offered to eat the heart, but I figured if the dogs wouldn't eat it, I probably shouldn't feed it to him, lol. I do give Taj the chicken hearts/gizzards from wal-mart and he loves those. That and chicken liver, ewww, of course he loves that, too. The next time I go down state, I might try to pick up a frozen feeder mouse or two and try that, he'd either eat it or cache it in his favorite place, under my pillow... sigh .
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:03 am

Yeah, the chicken livers are quite eww, I agree. Though slicing up a whole pork heart yourself also has quite the ick factor, not sure chicken liver can touch it. It's just...so bizarre. If you do want to get whole feeder animals, you can order them online. Mypetcarnivore.com sells (and ships or delivers) free range, grassfed meat (and some whole things, I think). They deliver to Michigan. The prices can be kinda high but they have stuff you cannot get elsewhere and the quality is practically untouchable, not something you'll ever find at Walmart, that's for sure. They also have organ meats that are very hard to find, like pancreas.
Taj's mom

Postby Taj's mom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Do they even like pancreas? I'm hesitant to get anything new thats expensive if he doens't like it. That beef heart was not cheap, either.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:14 pm

I guess I'm lucky I get beef heart real cheap. Cheaper than ground beef. Eat it myself sometimes it's good if soaked in a marinade to soften it a bit before cooking then cook it slow.

They will probably eat it cooked. There is less but still a lot of taurine in ti cooked. Hyzzie will only eat it cooked but Quasi loved it raw.
Taj's mom

Postby Taj's mom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Yeah, it's pretty expensive here. I also like giving him his food raw, except for the part where he caches it under my pillow. If we ever try it again, I'll try cooking it and seeing if he likes it. I thought it lost almost all the taurine when cooked, so that's good to know. :) I know Ragtatter's diet calls for round, but I'm kinda leery of it, I've heard that ground beef/chicken/turkey has more bacteria than the whole item. Is that true?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Yes because there is more surface area for the bacteria. I often buy beef shoulder and cut out the fat then grind it and freeze it myself for the anteaters and us too.

Freezing effects the taurine too but it takes a lot longer to destroy it. I never make more than a month at a time though so it's not frozen that long.

It doesn't list heart but this has a chart showing cooking methods vs raw and how much taurine is lost. Boiling is the worst. You could just lightly cook it on the stove top though they don't show how much that destroys it but you could just do it kind of rare and the slower cooking I think kills less than fast, partly as the heat is not as high. http://www.wildkittycatfood.com/taurine.htm
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 pm

From my recollection, livers are very fatty... well, duck at least is.

As to the ick factor, I have one worse... eyes!
Ate one raw once (survival training) I was ravenous and was so hungry it tasted like chewy chickenbroth

Then dissecting one later for vert physiology I was like.... how the hell did I eat this?!?!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Ducks store fat in their livers for migration so fake that in captivity by fattening them up by force feeding.

Under normal conditions liver should never be fatty. They are about 2-3% fat Domesticated duck liver is nearing 5% fat most ground meat and roasts are all much fattier.

You can always check such things here http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list
AMO

Postby AMO » Mon May 20, 2013 1:33 am

Mine will die for bread. I'm not sure if that's normal for foxes or not but Romeo and Roxanne LOVE it. Romeo likes bacon bits too, like for salad. They both like Frosted Flakes. I only found that out because I was late for school once and I was shoving dry Frosted Flakes in my mouth while kissing them goodbye. :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 20, 2013 7:48 am

Fable likes cereal as well! Especially cheerios and Oh's. Sometimes I'll dribble some honey over his raw chicken.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:21 am

I was just curious, and didn't feel like reading every thread to find out, but has anyone given their foxes cabbage? Or is it even healthy for them? o:
If you have what was their idea on it?
I'm sort of eating a bowl of it right now (LOVE boiled, salted cabbage) and i've been reading a lot on the forum for the past while and it got me curious.
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.

Return to “Health & Diet”