please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Charlie and New arrivals

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

planestew

Charlie and New arrivals

Postby planestew » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a large domestic pig named Charlie, I have had him since he was 3 months old. I live on a ranch in flordia, and during hog hunting season two very small babies were driven on to our land, all alone. I have been feeding them. At first I tried to trap them and perhaps move them in with Charlie, who only has his chickens.

The pigglets have moved in with the cattle and the horse and donkey but had not met Charlie. The babies are all over the ranch and I am a bit afraid for them as my 4 dogs have spotted them and know they are about. They have no mama to teach them. They are getting bigger.

I was walking Charlie, out of his pen the other day, and the pigglets saw him and ran to him. At first Charlie wagged his tail. The snorting began from all three. Charlie began opening and closing his mouth rapidly, then frothing. Then he chased the little male and charged the female. I yelled at him to stop and he followed me to his pen. The babies followed him as they are looking for their mother.

The next day they approaced his pen, which is an acre of fenced land for just he and the chickens, and Charlie charged them, on the other side of the fence, then blew a bunch of snot out of his nose.

I want to know what this means. Does Charlie hate them? Will he hurt them? I am very worried about these two wild baby boars. As they grow, they may become a danger to my dogs and mini donkey. I do not want them hurt, and would really love it if I could get them to live with Charlie. Is this a bad idea. PLEASE help...

Thanks Donna
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Charlie and New arrivals

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:38 pm

I think intact boars will tend to fight. Charlie may decide to like the female once she is grown if they were penned near each other, maybe the male too if neutered but someone more pig savvy can say for sure.

To catch them put their food near a fence for like a week them add a fence panel coming out from the fence and keep feeding there for a week or long as it takes. Then add a second fence panel on the other side for awhile. Then add a gate left open and you will be able to just close them in while they eat. Maybe even hook the gate up to a pulley system so you wont have to walk up near them. I've not actually done this but have heard it works and sounds like it should.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 pm

There are alot of diseases transmitted to domestic pigs from wild pigs. I would seriously consider removing the piglets any way possible. Pseudorabies would be one of the worst and very prevalant in wild pigs.
Pigs are not very friendly to new pigs. If you were to just put the babies in with him, especially if he is not castrated, they could be killed. They need to be introduced in a pen side by side for a couple weeks then introduced. And they may not ever get along truly. Most times they do eventually but the smaller ones are usually bullied by the largest. Its just the pecking order.
Though, I wouldnt encourage it at all if you would be sad if the older one got sick.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Id really watch those wild hogs. Hogs arent naturally "friendly" as is let alone hogs already born wild.

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”