Exotic Canines that Could Potentailly Be Kept as Pets

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Exotic Canines that Could Potentailly Be Kept as Pets

Postby caninesrock » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:07 pm

I have some bad news and some good news.
First the bad news:There are more canid species on Cites then I realized. Brazil doesn't allow imports of its wildlife.
Now the good news:All but two of these canids are in Cites II or Cites III,which means than can be imported,but the bad news is that Cites II are difficult to import and usually can't be taken out of the wild.

On Cites:
Key made me. Red text=on ESA , Bolded Red Text=on ESA and Invasive species list

Cites I
Bush Dog
Gray Wolves Only in:
Bhutan
India
Nepal
Pakistan

Cites II
All other forms of the gray wolf.
Crab-eating Fox
Maned Wolf
Dhole
Culpeo Fox
Darwin's Fox
Chilla
Pampas Fox
Blandford's Fox
Fennec Fox

cites III
Golden Jackal Only in India
Bengal Fox Only in India
Red Fox Subspecies:
Vulpes vulpes griffithi (India)
Vulpes vulpes montana (India)
Vulpes vulpes pusilla (India)

The good news is the crab-eating fox, the culpeo, the chilla, the pampas fox, the Blandford's fox, and the fennec fox are all least concern so you can probably convince Cites that you aren't threatening the wild population by importing them. As for, the Bush Dog, Maned Wolf, and Dhole, it's not really new news as they are already banned by the ESA and in the case of dholes, the Invasive Species list. The Darwin's Fox mostly likely can't be owned because although it is not on the ESA and it's only Cites II, it's critically endangered in the wild and I doubt you could convince them that you weren't hurting the wild population by importing them as pets. The Hoary Fox unfortunately can not be owned as Brazil doesn't export its wildlife and the Hoary Fox is only found in Brazil.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:44 am

So to recap in simple terms:

Legal
1.Coyote
2.Gray Fox
3.Swift Fox
4.Arctic Fox
5.Red Fox
6.Corsac Fox
7.Bat-eared Fox
8.Pale Fox
9.Fennec Fox(if you buy from a breeder in the US so you don't have to bother with Cites paperwork. There are plenty of fennec breeders in the US.)
10.Wolfdog
11.Czech Wolfdog
12.Saarloos Wolfhond
13.Carolina Dog
14.Canaan Dog
15.New Guinea Singing Dog
16.Basenji
17.Crab-eating Fox(with dealing with Cites II paperwork)
18.Culpeo(with dealing with Cites II paperwork)
19.Chilla(with dealing with Cites II paperwork)
20.Pampas Fox(with dealing with Cites II paperwork)
21.Tibetan Fox
22.Cape Fox
23.Blandford's Fox
24.Ruppell's Fox
25.Bengal Fox(don't have to deal with Cites as long as
you get it imported from another country besides India)
26.Side-stripped jackal
27.Black-backed Jackal
28.Golden Jackal(don't have to deal with Cites as long as you get it imported from another country besides India)
29. Coydog
30.Eastern Coyote
31. Indian Pariah Dogs(INdogs)
32.Telomians(Telomian Dogs)
33.Avuvi
34.AfriCanis
35.Malayasian Dog
36. Mexican Mayan Dog
37.Sechuran Fox
38. Dingo
39.Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf
40.Mackenzie Valley Wolf
41.British Columbia Wolf(with Cites II paperwork unless you can find some already in the US)
42.Vancouver Island Fox(with Cites II paperwork unless you can find some already in the US)
43.Hudson Bay Wolf(with Cites II paperwork unless you can find some already in the US)
44.Labrador Wolf(with Cites II paperwork unless you can find some already in the US)
45.Baffin Island Wolf(with Cites II paperwork unless you can find some in the US already)
46.Arctic Wolf
47.Interior Alaskan Wolf
48.Alaskan Tundra Wolf
49.Coywolf(?)-May be the same thing as the Eastern Coyote.

Illegal
1.Raccoon Dogs(Invasive Species list)
2.Wolamute(Advertised as a timber wolf husky hybrid. Both Eastern Timber Wolves and Great Plains wolves commonly mistakenly called Timber Wolves are on the ESA. I wouldn't think breeding them to make hybrids would be legal?)
3.Wolfador(Advertised as a timber wolf labrador retriver hybrid. Both Eastern Timber Wolves and Great Plains wolves commonly mistakenly called Timber Wolves are on the ESA. I wouldn't think breeding them to make hybrids would be legal?)
4.Hoary Fox(Brazil doesn't allow exports of its species.)
5.Red Wolf(On ESA)
6.Small-eared Dog(Even though they aren't on Cites or the ESA,I doubt any countries would let you import them since they are hard to find even in the wild.)
7.Bush Dog(Cites I)
8.Dhole(On ESA and Invasive Species)
9.African Wild Dog(On ESA)
10.Maned Wolf(On ESA)
11.Island Gray Fox(On ESA)
12.Darwin's Fox(Critically endangered Cites II species. You can't take Cites II species from the wild unless they are least concern and there are no Darwin's fox in captivity.)
13.Ethiopian Wolf(On ESA)
14.Mexican Gray Wolf(On ESA)
15.Eastern Timber Wolf(On ESA)
16.Great Plains Wolf(On ESA)
17.Northern Swift Fox(On ESA)
18.San Joaquin Kit Fox(On ESA)(possibly the kit fox in general since it's the only officially scientifically recognized non-extinct subspecies. The main species is extinct and the Desert Kit fox subspecies is not completely excepted as a subspecies.)

These guys live in India which would make them Cites I,but they can also be found in these countries which aren't listed on Cites:
Indian Wolf-Himalayas,Burma,Thailand,Sikkim, Assam
(positive Thailand's a country,but don't know about the others)
Arabian Wolf-Suadi Arabia
Iranian Wolf-Iraq,Arabia
Himalayan Wolf-Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh,Jammu(not sure if any of these are countries)
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 am

Well, if you said that you would be breeding CITES II species in order to stabilize the global population, that would certainly help. That's what you would be doing if you were breeding them.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Rejillia

Postby Rejillia » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:06 am

Aw man, I really would've wanted a maned wolf. Those are awesome.
sammys

Postby sammys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Interesting - does anyone know what is the situatiopn for dhole in european countries? Are they legal there (I know they are endangered)?

I am just curious about them, I am not planning to keep them (they are very social anyway so one would need to have a lot of them to be truly happy :) )

Postby 0011 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:18 pm

This list is amazing
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Depends on what country. In Scandinavia you can't keep any wild carnivore, in Ireland, Croatia perhaps some other country, pretty much nothing is illegal, and in the UK, no animal is banned either as far as I know, you "just" need a dangerous wild animal license. But then there is also the question of CITES, and how the dhole fits into that.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”