please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Mange or fleas? :( HELP

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Masterchiefthefox

Mange or fleas? :( HELP

Postby Masterchiefthefox » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:21 am

My 9 month olds red/silver fox keeps scratching a ton.
hes losing hair on the back of his neck, his tummy, and armpits. he scratches way too much to be normal.

im not sure whether this would be fleas or mange. he stays inside mainly all the time.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mange or fleas? :( HELP

Postby pat » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:27 am

welcome to sybils message board...

depending on the weather. if it is hot where you are, it could be fleas, but, fleas don't get this severe where they lose this much fur. foxes do shed a lot, but, not this time of the year. even if your fox is kept indoors for now, that don't mean he can't get fleas. fleas can be brought in by people. also, he is was infested with fleas, you would know it just by looking thru his fur. have you combed him and looked at this skin?

you can start with revolution flea treatment. (never use anything flea treatment that is over the counter or generic)
a visit to the vet might be a good idea. for now, try giving him some coconut oil in his diet, and rub a little thru his fur,
but, try and get some on his skin.

can you send a picture of him? would be helpful if we could see him.

otherwise, I really don't know, the other members can throw ideas at you..
keep us updated..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:32 am

If you can get a copy of Les Stocker's "Practical Wildlife Care" in at your local library it has good info on both issues for foxes, or at least about the best that is in print that I know of.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:30 pm

If it helps reassure you at all, foxes do scratch a lot more often than dogs. They spend time scratching and grooming through their fur a lot--more than I thought they would. Fable at one point did give himself two bald spots on his haunches and chest, but the fur grew back. A fox I worked with shed in clumps and always looked mangy until she got her winter and summer coats in.

Not saying it couldn't be mange or fleas, so if you are still concerned about it a vet visit would be a good idea just to be sure.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Health & Diet”