PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Designing a cage with software

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Designing a cage with software

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:31 pm

It has helped a lot to figure things out by using this http://www.sketchup.com/ The pro version is free for 30 days. It even had a fennec model in the library but it was not true to scale so I scaled it down so it's a bit taller than 8" at the shoulder so it would be life sized, since they average 8" at the shoulder. This let me see how well a fennec would fit into the designed cage.

I did the model based on two of these shelves back to back http://www.amazon.com/Edsal-5-Shelf-Ste ... B00JY2M8BE

I left one shelf out as I want to put an exercise wheel in. Cat wheels are too big so I'll have to make by own. This model wheel is 31" diameter outside so about 30 inside. It looks like that will fit a fennec just fine.

Here it is from the front. I'm debating on having two opposite front corners open as doors or all 4 independently but door design is a bit more complicated for me.

And this shows the wheel is about perfect sized for a fennec
Alynn

Re: Designing a cage with software

Postby Alynn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:30 pm

This is really cool. Even though this is my major (computer animation/simulation), I had never thought about modeling cages. Would be pretty easy to do, too.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:35 pm

I didn't even really know what I was doing and it wasn't that hard, ha. Super helpful for me because I'm the sort to go to all the trouble of getting something together or arranged and decide it wont work and need to redo it. I need to put the ramps and access holes in the model levels too so I can be sure of length and placement but will probably go from alternating corners. There's lots of options out there but it's cool that this one had a fennec model since I was concerned about shelf spacing and wheel size.

After playing around with C&C panels in the model I think I'll use them as well so it will be nice and sturdy wiring(since heavey anteaters are prone to climbing the outside) and look nice. I'll just have to invest in bolt cutters as some will need to be trimmed to size.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:25 pm

So was going to make a new thread but it'll work here. The realization of the design. Only I went with a slightly more expensive model. Well it would normally be a much more expensive model but I got them on sale. Same dimensions but looks nicer.

One shelf put together.

How the wiring will fit. Since I'll have to cut some off the sides the top bit can be filled in with those and will cut up less pieces that way.

The pannles will be attached to the shelves with these cable holders. I forgot they don't come with nails or screws so will need to get them.

The rear wall. This was a first sorta failed attempt my new way of fitting them requires no cutting of the top so all will look nicer. Oh and the gap in the floor is only about finger width but ordered some black gorilla tape to cover it. If that doesn't wind up standing up to him or her could get small area rugs or something. Which would be cute just kind of expensive.

Side(large) wall is how they all will be now, aside from the back part gets split due to the support rods. I put the walls down on the beam lip then sat the shelf and that holds the bottom and makes them fit the 18" space perfectly. I just ordered some white Gorilla tape to help smooth where the panels join. PS the shelvs ft even I just didn't notice I didn't have it settled all the way here.

I ordered some cute decals to put on the walls so now I'll have to wait to finish it. I was going to put the wire on but I can't do that and still lift the shelves to put the walls and it will be much easier to do the decals before having the panels in place. I still need to cut the two access holes too.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:13 am

Wow. I couldn't picture it when you were describing it. That looks really good. I can't wait until it's finished. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:26 am

Thank you.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:26 am

that is a super good idea. I do have a question though. I am assuming this is metal or similar?
if so, some or most animals sometimes have problems with this type. are you going to put some type of cover on the shelves?

you did mention about cutting holes to go from one shelve to another. that is great. a suggestion: a ladder for them to go from the very bottom to the top :shrug: or from shelve to shelf. I have little homemade ladders in the fox tower.
it was pretty simple. just a board, then smaller boards nailed to that to make the steps.
on another note, foxes will probably just walk up a plank.

thank you for that idea, is such a good one, saves space and give a fox more activity.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:35 pm

The shelves themselves are laminated wood composite(aka particle board), all the structure parts are steal. I don't know if I'll do covers on all the shelves. If he/she slides around I will have to but was kind of hoping to not cover most of the shelves. It would be easy to sweep and wipe up messes and I've found animals are easier to potty train that way as they are less inclined to go where the pee doesn't absorb because it gets on their feet.I know I'll be lucky if there's any potty training with a fennec but if I have washable pee pads down she'll either be inclined to go there or the beds rather than the floor, if the floor is uncovered, I hope. I did see a blanket and couldn't resist it, that will make a perfect shelf cover/rug for one of the levels, probably the top as I plan that as the living-room/bedroom/chill area.

Yeah I talked about making ramps in the parts about still modeling it. Will be like the ferret nations that way but tons more room for around the same price. I was originally thinking one would not be needed from the half shelf down to the bottom level but now realize that will be needed too, after seeing the old thread about Elina's girl breaking her leg from a short jump. So there will be three ramps joining the levels.

Yeah it's great for space both saving and giving them plenty. It fits the 4x4 area I already had for a cage but gives tons of space with the levels, 14x16 feet of total space or 56 SQFT Compared to a ferret nation of adding up shelves of the 182Model, 8.3fx9ft 16.2 SQFT. Even if you took 4 ferret nations and hooked them together the space still wouldn't compare.

Cost of my Fennec condo
Cable clamps 5.94
Black Zip Ties 2.15
Bolt Cutter 18" 18.99
20 Grid wire cubes 24.99
25 pack of Corrugated plastic sheets 24" x 18" 24.32
White Gorilla Tape 11.11
Black Gorilla Tape 8.95
2 Shelving Steel Units 133.66

Total 230.02

Oh forgot the screws so + about $8 for those soon.

Edit: Did have to buy some metal epoxy to "weld" the cut wires on the top as there is the metal lip there supporting the shelf above so couldn't screw the clamps on, oops. /Edit

So cheaper than the large ferret nation and tons more space.

Oh also I'm using about 40 of the grid wire cube squares but had 20 already here already. So if you added in another set that would make it about the same as one ferret nation.

But depending on your space needs you could use any size shelving units. These were ideal for the space I had to work with.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:51 pm

Wow, not a bad price at all. That's a really nice setup for a small mammal like a fennec.

Oh, have you thought about maybe putting casters on it? I don't know how heavy it is, but since it's made out of steal it could get hard to move.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”