ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Aardwolf Breeding

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aardwolf Breeding

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Yes. An aardwolf is the next serious mammal I'll be getting. It's the primary reason why I've been holding off on getting anymore foxes. May get some smaller things to exhibit in the meantime, but nothing too pricey.

I am thinking about getting a single female to start off, unless they've come down in price. I would like to have a female established first before introducing a male anyway since that's what AZA zoos recommend in their care manuals. Supposedly it's best to introduce the male when the female is in heat.

The idea of getting one aardwolf first is a lot less overwhelming and actually seems doable. The enclosure will be built first and will be a big hurdle. I would like to begin construction on the enclosure during the summertime.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:40 pm

That's so cool! If I ever got the money to open a zoo, an Aardwolf would be at the top of my list. They are so unique in their coloration.

I heard that you're getting yours from ken, but I thought he closed shop. Are you going to import her yourself?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 pm

The Herper wrote:That's so cool! If I ever got the money to open a zoo, an Aardwolf would be at the top of my list. They are so unique in their coloration.

I heard that you're getting yours from ken, but I thought he closed shop. Are you going to import her yourself?

Ken stopped being a broker, so yeah, I can't get them from him anymore.

I may import myself (though if I don't cross all my "t's" or dot my "i's" I could get labelled as a smuggler, and that's kind of daunting...). So for my first I'm probably going to hire an importer to do all the paperwork and be the middleman.

I've found some places in Africa that would legally be able to catch and ship aardwolves. Might even have cb ones too since they breed quite a few species. There's no point contacting them to see their pricing since I don't even have an enclosure yet though. Don't want to waste their time. But once I've got an enclosure I will.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:38 pm

I've found some places in Africa that would legally be able to catch and ship aardwolves. Might even have cb ones too since they breed quite a few species. There's no point contacting them to see their pricing since I don't even have an enclosure yet though. Don't want to waste their time. But once I've got an enclosure I will.

Really? Who do you plan on buying from? I haven't heard of many african suppliers of animals,( other than herps, of course) that really advertise themselves.

They could be useful for me in the future icon-smile
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:24 am

I have the contacts saved on my other computer, which I need a new cord for and haven't gotten yet to retrieve all the info. A few others have asked about it too, so may go ahead and see what I can do to pull up the info.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:42 am

How's it going, Ash?

I'm starting to like Aardwolves more, as a better alternative to the striped hyena.
So I think you already have more than one future buyer here. ;)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks for asking. :) I'm putting in for my permits by Valentine's Day. That's the date I've set for myself. So once I get the permits, it will be much easier from there. I also found some good aardwolf dietary info which I'm excited about.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 am

Have you seen that Park Exotics in the UK has Aardwolves?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2269961952
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:47 am

Can't wait until you get your aardwolves Ash. :)
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:08 pm

I can't either. I had some health issues pop up that took about 6 months to deal with, so I feel like that set me behind.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:48 am

Ash, did you see my post? ^
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:39 am

No, I missed that! That's exciting. :) I wonder if they breed, or if they have an animal supplier. For some reason importing from the UK sounds easier than importing from Africa. Thank you for that. :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Ash,

I give you a lot of credit with your animals and future animals.
too many can be a real handful. a while back, I had too many animals. yep, they kept me hopping, plus I was working full time..

However, your setups are always very nice, and makes cleaning easier.
trying to give animals quality time is not always easy for me.

Are Ardwolf legal in your area? I assume they are. I know you always check out to make sure.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:11 pm

They're illegal in the state, so I would need to get a variance from the state for them. But I can't go for the variance until AFTER I have an enclosure built. It's really the enclosure that's holding everything up. It'll be expensive, and a pain to build.

Thank you for your kind words, Pat.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:43 am

Ash wrote:They're illegal in the state, so I would need to get a variance from the state for them. But I can't go for the variance until AFTER I have an enclosure built. It's really the enclosure that's holding everything up. It'll be expensive, and a pain to build.

Thank you for your kind words, Pat.

Keep us updated on how you build your enclosure! icon-smile
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).

Return to “INSECTIVORES”