PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Everyone PLEASE I Am in dire need of advice! Please read :(

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

hatshepsut2049

Everyone PLEASE I Am in dire need of advice! Please read :(

Postby hatshepsut2049 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Hello everyone,
I bought my fox, Sir Bunbury, about three years ago. I love him with all my heart. He has been neutered, had vet visits, a permit, and is all around happy and healthy! I live in illinois where pet foxes are Legal. And I even read my city (burbank) ordinances before buying him... And i believe i read it wrong.
This is what it says on owning pets:
It shall be unlawful to permit any dangerous animal of any kind to run at large within the city. Exhibitions of animals or birds which are ferae naturae in the eyes of the law may be conducted only upon securing a permit from the chief of police.

Sec. 7-97. - Keeping livestock, wild or dangerous animals.

[b]It shall be unlawful to keep any live swine, pigs, horses, ponies, mules, donkeys, cows, calves, sheep, lambs, or goats in the city. It shall be unlawful for any person to have, keep, maintain or have in his possession or under his control, within the city, any poisonous reptile or serpent, or any other dangerous or carnivorous wild animal or reptile, or vicious or dangerous domesticated animal or any of the following animals or reptiles: baboons, chimpanzees, gibbons, gorillas, orangutans, siamangs, bears, cheetahs, crocodilians twelve (12) inches or larger, constrictor snakes, coyotes, foxes, hyenas, jaguars, leopards, lions, lynxes, ocelots, margays, piranha fish, pumas, raccoons, tigers and wolves. This shall not apply to circuses when properly licensed by the city.
These laws are for Wild, or dangerous animals...correct? i feel that animals,such as my fox who was raised in captivity for breeding etc, should automatically be classified domestic. He is not wild, nor even on the list of "dangerous animals" in IL. [/b]

Yesturday i was not home and my father called to tell me the fox was screaming and he would not stop, because i wasnt there. 5 POLICE cars showed up at the house, because a man walking his dogs discerned that a woman was screaming in the house. My father told the police it was just our dog. The police left.

I am soooo scared if anything happens to my bunbury, i would kill myself. I have all his vet visits his permit. Now i feel like a bad owner because i would never jepordize the life of my pet, out of selfishness of wanting to have him.

My question is: is the fox legal in my city? I read it as if it were being that he is neither wild nor dangerous. Its not like i take him for walks in the neighborhood, show him off..no! I play with him in the backyard or inside the home.

Also how can i pacify his screaming at night.... this screaming just started 3 weeks ago. For reasons beyond me. However i always give into his screams at 4 in the morning, thus i end up missing school, not getting sleep, and am much fearful for my foxes and for my own future...regarding keeping him.

please help. I need some advice or some words of encouragment.
thankyou all
the_unstable

Re: Everyone PLEASE I Am in dire need of advice! Please read

Postby the_unstable » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Even though foxes are legal in Illinois, you must also comply with both city and county ordinances. Despite being bred and raised in captivity, it is highly unlikely that the city will view your fox as a domestic animal. Generally, laws only view dogs, cats, and maybe rabbits and other small animals as being domestic. Even if the fox was bred in Russia by the Institute in the domestic fox project, it most likely would not be viewed as a domestic animal.

The running at large ordinance doesn't affect you unless you let the fox loose in the city (or if he escapes). The second thing mentioned, though, is an issue. Are there any other exemptions other than the licensed circus exemption?

Is your fox legal in the city? I highly doubt that it is for the reasons mentioned above. However, if you've successfully kept him for three years within that city then I wouldn't be so horribly worried. There have been other members that have discovered ordinances that outlaw their pet foxes and they still have them (though one, Ragtatter, had to go through court and stuff to be able to keep him; however, I think she did walk him in public regularly and the neighbors knew about him).

Read through the rest of the ordinance to find out what consequences there are for those keeping illegal animals within the city. You might be able to have a hearing and get permission to keep him. I would not bring it up unless you get reported, though. Just make sure he's vaccinated (particularly against rabies) by a veterinarian, well cared for, and out of the public eye. I would avoid telling people about him and avoid letting people have contact with him.

Has he never screamed before? That's kind of surprising as they're sort of known for that. Mating season has begun so he may be calling out for a mate. Is there a way you can keep him indoors while he screams? Maybe in a basement to help hide the sound. I would probably stop responding to his screaming if he's simply doing it to get your attention since it will encourage the behavior.

I would just lay low and keep him a secret as much as you possibly can. Try and keep him inside during screaming times. Maybe even permanently construct an enclosure in your basement or something for him. It's not great, no, but it will help keep him a secret.

I'm betting a lot of people do not even know about the ordinance and probably won't bother to look into it unless they are against exotic ownership, have something against you or your family, or someone complains. Many average people are not aware that there are other laws controlling exotic ownership other than state laws. Just lay low.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:03 pm

it says "unlawful to keep wild/vicious etc...OR any of the following animals....fox"
the "or" is key
im pretty sure they will absolutely view your fox as illegal. keep him hidden. if someone finds out and reports you and the city issues you a citation, take him to a friends house for a few days in case the city sends anyone to search your house and if anyone asks just deny it. they cant do anything if they cant prove he exists.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:54 pm

According to the law, yes, it is illegal to keep him in your city. As the others have said, dig into the law and search for exemptions. You will need to find a way to keep him legally in order for him to be safe.

Do you have relatives/close friends outside of the city who could keep him for you while you ask about the legalities?

How old are you? Is it possible for you to live elsewhere or with a relative?

Don't be too hard on yourself. You researched the law before hand, and you honestly thought that it was legal. Yes, you're in a strained predicament now, but it isn't your fault.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 pm

I meant to say that as well - don't be too hard on yourself. Those things can be pretty easy to miss. Stuff happens in life. If you can't live with a relative, is it possible to keep him at someone else's property where it is legal? It's not convenient, but at least everyone involved would be safe.
hatshepsut2049

Postby hatshepsut2049 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Thank YOU ALL SOOO very much for the responses, it is some sort of solace for me while in this predicament. a few neihbors know about my fox, at one time he ran out the door unbeknownst to me for about four hours. A woman came and told me my fox was relaxing in her yard 6 houses down. None of the neighbors complain, Im sure they see me and my fox playing in our backyard.

However last night when the police came they thought it was a wman being beaten or something, thy had no idea it was an animal, until my dad told them it was our dog.

The good news is is that because of this problem, and because my father is soo understanding, we will hopefully be moving to a location in IL where Bunbury is legal in state and city both.

I believe i read too deep into the ordinances, because to me he is neither wild nor dangerous, he is just like a dog who is a bit diffeent from normal dogs. I am 22 years old, university student btw.

Thank all you sooo much for responding and your words of encouragment.

Also, yes he has screamed before but now it seems as if he is screaming because he knows I will give into him and stay up ll night with him. His home is in our garage hich is all his. I think it best for now to now move him into my room, and even then I know i won't get any sleep because he loves to play. But as so no more police come to my door I believe this is the best resolution.

I will keep you guys updated.
Thanyou again, I feel less like a bad and awful person.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 pm

It doesn't matter if the fox is wild or dangerous as it bans wild and then said "or any of the following animals" Then fox is listed. So wild animals and foxes are banned it's not just wild animals or just foxes.

Even if it did just say wild animals and then list foxes, foxes would still be banned because by doing it like that the law then defines foxes as wild no matter the source.

I doubt there is anything you can do to make him legal but look just in case. Also though have a plan in place in case the worst does happen. You're lucky the police didn't come in and see him for the "lady screaming" if they literally think a human is in trouble they can come in to check. If police show up for the fox they need to have a warrant or they can't come in or take your fox. Have someone lined up who can take him if that does happen so you can move him and know he'll be safe.

Moving will be good and might also help if police do come about him. As you can show you have legit plans to move soon so they maybe wont seize him and just let you move instead.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 pm

You should not feel like a bad and awful person. Stuff happens. You're taking good care of him and doing your best to make sure that he will be legally safe. Definitely not bad or awful.

If you're certain he is screaming for attention, then the first step is to no longer award it. Until the screaming stops, try and keep him somewhere very well concealed where people will not be able to hear him if they're outside your house, since I'm sure there will be a lot of screaming. Alternatively, maybe there is something you can give him that will comfort him so he will not scream for attention. A toy or maybe an animal friend that would be safe to be with him unsupervised.

Sleep is important as well as your academics. I hope that you can work something out that will work for both your fox and you. If you can avoid keeping him in your room, it would be best, since you said you'll stay up all night with him. Is it possible to maybe get him to stay up all day so he will sleep all night?
hatshepsut2049

Postby hatshepsut2049 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Thankyou soo much the_unstable, and to everyone. He slept perfectly fine last night in his own room, and he made not the slightest sound, I think he knows whats going on :D
He screams I suppose for attention, Tho I give him plenty, he might want more fun time! So I am setting and scheduling my shool, priorities around and trying to make time for everything. So far soo good! I love my little nugget he is my best friend, and I really don't know what would become of me if I had lost him. Thanx again fr the much neede support guys! :)

Return to “FOXES”