https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Would it be possible to adda chat room?

Questions/Suggestions/Comments

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

veralidaine

Would it be possible to adda chat room?

Postby veralidaine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey guys,

When I was looking at all the forums, I saw the part at the bottom that showed which members were currently browsing the forums. A thought crossed my mind; I wish I could talk to them in real time without having to resort to a pm which will only allow dialogue between two people.

So then it occurred to me; would it be possible to add a chatroom? I don't know enough about web design to know if this would be easy or feasible but I thought that I might as well suggest it and see what the Pat or the other mods say.

I just think that, if possible, a chatroom would be a really amazing way to add an extra bit of familiarity to this family.
the_unstable

Re: Would it be possible to adda chat room?

Postby the_unstable » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:21 am

I thoguht of this, too, which would be neat. However, I think a downfall is that the forum is a collaboration of information and a resource for those who want to learn about exotic ownership. If we have a chat room, then people are likely to use that more than the forum (especially to ask questions). Then the discussions wouldn't be saved and ready for those who need the information. A lot of questions would just get asked repeatedly (more than they already do) and fewer people would know the answers since not everyone will be present for the chat.

I do think it would be great to talk to others in real time and get to know everyone a little better.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Hmmm, that's a really good point. Maybe we can have a banner at the top of the room that says that people should direct animal care-related questions to the forum? Or if we happen to discuss something that we want saved, we could copy and paste into a thread?
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 pm

That could work. There might not be enough space for it, though. I guess we will see what Pat thinks and if any other members show interest. I think it is a good idea.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 am

yes, it is possible. I have been planning on doing it, but, it keeps getting thrown on the back burner.

excellent point what un-stable pointed out.

when I get a chance, I will see what I can do.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm

That's good to hear.

Another reason I think the chatroom could be good is, some people tend to hang around specific forums, I think, for instance the animal-related forums. When I've posted, looking for people who would like to help my new club, I end up having to put it in general because that's the only place it fits yet I wonder if a lot of people are seeing it.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 pm

I have a link to all unread posts saved in my bookmark bar, so I see all of the new posts, I just don't always reply (can't remember if I replied to yours or not). Usually if a discussion is heated, or someone has already said everything I could have said, except better. icon_biggin.gif I prefer not repeating info over and over in the same thread.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:43 am

The only problem with a chat room is that it would have to be members only somehow,so non-members can't come and post and be unmoderated and possibly say trollish or mean things.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:45 am

caninesrock wrote:The only problem with a chat room is that it would have to be members only somehow,so non-members can't come and post and be unmoderated and possibly say trollish or mean things.

hmm, never thought of that. it would have to be moderated.
but, would be set up with a un and pw.

I don't have time right now to set it up.
I might try it later and see how it works out.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Jabuticaba

Postby Jabuticaba » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 pm

There is a website I know of which you can use to make a chat-group. It's an option I thought I could mention.

The website is http://www.xat.com

A xat chatbox let's the owner make moderators, restrict the chatbox to members only (only moderators or owners and owners can make people members). Unfortunately, for someone to become a member in the chatbox, an owner or moderator must be present. An owner can also make other people owners, but an owner made by the Main Owner (the person who created the chat-group) cannot make others owners. You may have to read that sentence twice xD Here are the permissions of the different people:

Main Owner-
    May make others owners.
    May make members.
    May make moderators.
    May Kick people. (A warning if someone is doing something wrong)
    May ban users. (0-6 Hours I think. Though, you may ban someone forever)
    May edit chatbox.

Owner-
    May make moderators.
    May make members.
    May Kick people.
    May ban users.

Moderator-
    May make members.
    May Kick people.
    May ban users (Only for 6 hours, I think)

Member-
    May Chat. xD

May Chat also, but if chatbox is set to members only, they may not do anything until made a member by a Moderator or Owner. However, they may private message (PM) a Moderator or Owner so they can ask to become a member.

A xat chatbox comes with an HTML/embed code that is given to it's creator, and it's free. So you can put it on the website.

Here's the instructions on how to make one:

1. Go to Xat.com

3. Fill out the information.

4. Verify your email, this inserts a cookie into your computer that makes the Chatbox remember that you are the Main Owner it's almost the exact same thing as the *keep me logged in* option on many websites like YouTube and various Email-using websites.

5. If I remember correctly, you will be taken to a page where you can edit your chatbox. Like this:

6. If you'd like to edit the Chatbox and make it members only, scroll down until you see this:
    Here you can check what you want for your chatbox. Ignore the Group Powers column you have to pay for that feature. It's nothing you really need either.

7. When your done modifying your Chatbox, scroll all the way down. There should be a button that says "Update these Options."

8. Click that.

9. Scroll up and copy and paste the new embed/HTML code to your website :3

7. You're done! Just make the people you want Moderators and anything.

You don't have to use Xat, it was just an idea if anyone's up for the taking C:

:happyfox: I love this guy xDD
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:49 pm

If you had a chat room though, the information won't be saved. People who frequent this board or are members probably love hearing all the stories we share and the experiences we've had. Just my two cents. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Ash, I was thinking the same thing, lol =)
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “MESSAGE BOARD ISSUES”